Thursday, November 22, 2012

'Wine for the soul'

The first Thanksgiving, in 21 years, without family. Without blood relatives, that is.
Though unconventional, I'm celebrating with a group of UC students here at Kent, doing a lovely potluck for a group including our housemates, friends, etc. Our group's up to about 27 people as of this morning- all I can say is BLESS Lital for opening up her kitchen and attempting the turkey.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be missing home right now, but the weird(?) thing is that I'm not. I'm perfectly content to be spending this familial holiday with a new family thousands of miles away from home, giving thanks for the past few months I've had the opportunity to live. My mind can't seem to stop lingering towards the finish line of this chapter of life. It's rather depressing, but considering I still enjoy every day here, smile despite having 10,000 words to submit and an exam to study for, and find beauty in [almost] every thing and every one, I'd have to say I'm one lucky girl.

And that's what this day is about, right? Giving thanks for all of this, all of where I am now, rats living in floor boards, broken washing machines, and all. Because never once would it be alright to take this experience, or this life, for granted. As preachy as I know it sounds, I am so lucky. I am so lucky to get to live without the harrowing struggles millions face every day. My gratitude is eternal. 

So thank you, family, friends, everyone.  

P.S. My friend Asya posted this quotation from Rumi the other day (I too love Rumi): 
"Gratitude is the wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk."



No comments:

Post a Comment