Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fresher's Week: A Vignette and List

All it took was a bit of curiosity and confidence to make a group of new British fresher friends, who just happened to be neighbors and ridiculously fun and crazy.

 My American friends and I left the International dinner we had tonight and went to Woody's, our bar in Parkwood, and kept hearing this song sung, which ends in a countdown and someone chugging their drink. Needless to say, I wanted to learn what the hell they were doing, and so I got up and asked them. Turns out you throw a coin in your friend's drink, and since it has the queen's face on it, you have to try and save her in the duration of the song by chugging your drink so she doesn't drown. LOL. hygenic? not in the least. fun? you bet.

These friends, from Thornden 6, invited us back to their place in our court, where we proceeded to drink, as per usual here (or rather, the main tradition they name when someone asks what British culture is like). I met Simon and Sophie, Olga and Claire, and just as fascinated as I am with them, they seem to be with me. The whole being-from-California thing is really advantageous here- it's an immediate ice breaker, and brings on so much conversation.

And now, a list of the most common responses I get from Brits when I say I'm from California:
1. California?! Oh wow! I love it there/want to go there/heard it's amazing.
2. Sorry you have to come to this weather.
3. You go to uni in California? You're living my dream.
4. So, does it actually look like the movies?
5. Is it really as amazing as we think it is?
6. Why the hell did you come to Kent?!

No comments:

Post a Comment