Friday, September 28, 2012

Too many parentheses.

Today became everything I ever hoped to experience while studying in England, despite my fervent efforts to  have no expectations about coming abroad.

I finally had all of my modules, and somewhat surprisingly, my favorite one for now is my comparative literature course. We're studying childhood and adolescence in modern fiction, and I get to present Pinocchio  this Friday with a boy from Luxembourg. Pretty sick. I guess psychology is just taking over a bit too much, and it's so refreshing to get to read novels again and analyze literature (and not scientific literature!)

The night started off open ended, me returning home from lectures and the library, starving and ready for some dinner. Right then, my friend Tammie from the Tea Society, invited me to dinner with her, Cara, and some of their friends at the Thai Corner (which the 3 of us had been meaning to try together soon) and then drinks out afterwards. So I jumped on that opportunity, and just got back, at 4 a.m. I hung out at their apartment, met their housemates, boyfriends, friend from London, went to Thai Corner an had a $30 meal (holy shit...), went to Bramley's Bar (super English pub vibe, lots of hip people but of all ages, had delicious cider..my new favorite drink on tap), walked to ASDA and got shit tons of English snack favorites (e.g hot cross buns, monster munch in pickled onion flavor, wine jelly candy things), then went back to their apartment for music and drinking games (though I skipped out on the more drinking because I'd been lightheaded for a few hours and thus felt tipsy enough!).

I love being around people from around the world, and especially when I'm the only American. I connected with Tammie and Cara on different levels tonight, spoke about being multicultural with Tammie, and spoke about health and careers with Cara. We are so similar despite growing up thousands of miles apart, but of course there is still plenty we can learn from one another.

Both Tammie and Cara are planning to visit the US after they graduate, and I am so happy to be able to be their American friend that they can visit, just like they've been my helpful British friends. So cheesy, but I love all this friendship across borders stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment